Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Easy Veggie Soup

Do you ever have trouble eating your veggies? Anyone with me?

Well, as much as I like to eat them is as much as I loathe to eat them. It's sort of like knowing that because they are good for me and I know I need to eat them, I don't want too. But I do. Begrudgingly.

To help myself get my veggies in, I often make this veggie soup. Oh my is it one of my favorites! It's the easiest thing ever - mainly just a dump, heat and serve kind of thing. I usually always have the ingredients on hand as most are pantry staples and a few freezer items. Here's the recipe!



  • One box of chicken stock (you could use two if you prefer a more brothy soup)
  • Veggies - loads of them! (I keep lots of frozen veggies on hand to dump into dishes I am making. I used half a bag of California blend veggies and half a bag of corn.)
  • Potatoes - peeled and cubed (I used a combo of red and white - use whatever you have. I used about 6.)
  • One can of diced tomatoes (If you only have whole tomatoes on hand, just dice yourself.)
  • One onion - minced finely (Half if you're not an onion lover)
  • Beans (if you feel like them. This was the first time I added beans [black eyed peas] Doens't need it if you don't like it.)
  • 3 cloves of garlic - minced finely (I love the flavor it gives - add less if you want, but definatly have 1 clove)
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil or non-stick cooking spray (I have the non-stick spray in my photo but I think I used EVOO)


In a large stockpot, heat oil and add onion. Cook until translucent. Add garlic. Do not burn the garlic. It will taste bitter.


Next, add your tomatoes (undrained), beans (rinsed), potatoes and chicken stock. Simmer for a few minutes. Stir.


Add your frozen veggies. Simmer until potatoes are tender.


Serve hot. This is also great for serving the next day. Mmm, mmm good!


Do you have any tips for getting more veggies in your diet? We'd love to hear them!

We're linking up with Angie at Angie's Healthy Living Blog. Go check out what others are up to this week!

2 comments:

Angie said...

I used to have soup every week. But have not been making it lately. Soup is so good for you and for weight loss! I make mine from scratch right down to making my own broth(time consuming)hence why I have not been having soup lately.
Last weekend I picked up a juicer at a yard sale for a $1. Haven't tried it yet...but hoping to juice some veggies soon!

Julie said...

Do you make meatloaf? You can add potatoes and carrots to that. Have you ever made fresh bread? I'm sure you have, don't mean disrespect there. You can add mashed potatoes to white bread for some veggie or at one time when my son was as sick as a little one could be, he'd only eat bread so I made a meat, potatoe and carrot bread. Just add about the same time you'd add raisins or other fruit. Just a couple of ideas.
Just found you via Angie's. Take care and God Bless!!