Sunday, April 11, 2010

Lucious Brown Bag Lunches

Having busy schedules, we know the drudge of packing a brown bag lunch.  Same old bologna and ketchup sandwich gets boring (we actually ate those when we were kids!  Ick!)  Anyway... we wanted to put together some easy ideas for brown bag lunches to help you break out of any lunchtime ruts.  Here are some of our favorites.




  • I love tuna. Oh do I love it! Here are a few ways I enjoy tuna - and none of them involve mayo! I put together a great salad full of veggies and then top it with light canned tuna packed in water (drained first of course). I then drizzle the salad with 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Sooo good! I also like to add tuna (no mayo!) and arugula or spinach to a pita. Another way to enjoy this fish is to add the tuna, white beans, 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix together and enjoy! If you've never tried tuna without mayo, give it a try! ~ Mandi


  • Eating your leftovers is a great way to keep the fridge clean.  I portion things out the night before when I'm cleaning up the kitchen from dinner, so everything is ready to go in the morning.  I also like to bake off a piece of chicken the night before added to a salad with mandarin oranges and honey mustard dressing. ~ Mary


  • I love spring mix salad with dried cranberries, a few walnuts or pecans, feta cheese and fat-free raspberry vinegarette dressing.  Sometimes I will add some cooked chicken or turkey for added protein or even strawberries or raspberries. ~ Jenn

                                         
This day I had skipped breakfast so I added low fat rice cakes and homemade Weight Watcher muffins.

  •  I love a big fruit salad for lunch. Fruit is full of fiber and is incredibly filling. I like to mix orange sections, pineapple chunks, kiwi, grapes, berries and bananas in a bowl. I toss and then enjoy! Add a piece of grain bread or rice cakes and you've got such a yummy lunch. ~ Mandi


  • How about this idea? Take your normal sandwhich fixin's and make a kabob out of it! Skewer chunks of chicken or ham, cherry tomatoes, squares of light cheese, cucumbers, and pineapple. Enjoy cold or lightly warmed in a microwave. What a fun way to enjoy your meal. ~ Mandi

How do you spice up your brown bag lunch? 

No comments: